A new sprinting legend is born

School sports days; I was always the slow kid.
You know, the one that lags a mile behind the rest of the pack and might even skip a little towards the end, as if to say the hoardes of spectators, 'Huh... what race? I'm cool.'
I was always that kid, and probably still am, try as I may to change it.
So enough about me, and more about my little brother Louie - who WON A RACE TODAY!
Cue, evidence:



Yep, that's my eleven-year-old Speedy Gonzales.
I am very proud, and obviously very happy to live vicariously through him to get my taste of the sweet victory that I'll never race to on my own.

The best bit is that he was feeling extremely nervous this morning when he woke up. At six am. You see, this kid: Ben, is something of a sprinting legend in Louie's school. He has won sports day races THREE years in a row, or four, even. While Louie has been known to kick up his own fair amount of dust for the kids left behind to eat, Louie is a mere Year Six in comparison to the mighty Ben's Year Seven self.

But Louie was determined to change this, and put a series of competitive advantages into place.
1:: He ate a breakfast of protein powder and egg milk smoothie (I discovered this when I entered the kitchen and tried to sip on what appeared to be a delicious fruit mixture left behind... blehhh).
2:: He tied up his shoelaces extra tight.
3:: He had butterflies all the way to school - gearing up to enter the fight AND flight response, eh? eh?
4:: And, finally... he got his sister to dress all in blue in support of his "faction".

Actually, I did that all on my own accord - I told you I wanted to live wholly in the moment.
Anyway, to end a long story short... oh look, who is number two on the podium below? Is that.... Ben?
Ohhhh yeah.




Hooray for Louie!!!!!
I'm so proud.




Today's story, however, has its extreme highs... and one very sore low.
Moments before Louie's race, I was standing on the grass and gently swapping from foot to foot. I needed to pee. Badly. But with my camera around my neck and Louie lined somewhere near the front of the multicoloured pack of kids across the oval, I was too anxious to leave.

A stream of colourful kids making their way to the starting line


It took a while but Mum finally convinced me that I should go - run - because Louie's racing group appeared to be stalled behind various streamer-adorned groups of girls, and I should make it in time.

But woe is me, I didn't.
I washed my hands and ran out the door with watery droplets flying out everywhere, reaching our spot only to find Mum and Tom had moved onwards to the blue faction's tent. Please, no, I thought.
Tom told me the words I didn't want to hear - "You missed it."
I spotted Louie approaching the podium and knew it was true.
Gahhhhhhhhh it was literally THE ONLY RACE I had missed in the trip to the bathroom. Stupid, STUPID coffee.

A bad idea when you await an exciting spectacle



I grabbed my camera and took a quick snap of Louie standing above Ben on the podium, then one of Louie eating watermelon. It felt good to witness his satisfied and happy face, but I was so disappointed and I still am.
I thank Mum and Tom for not taking any pictures of my teary eyes, but yep it sure happened. I told them I had been so keen to make up for all the times I haven't been able to make Louie's sports days over the years, because he's always lived in a different state from me. Naw.
Anyway, I know as long as he keeps fit and determined, there's always his high school years =].






Louie and I

Love you buddy, well done.

By the way.... there was a last minute entry into the sports day races.
And guess who won?




Hahahahhaha I will never get over how gooby I look in this photo.

xZ

No comments :

Post a Comment

Feel free to share your thoughts and love here.
Thanks so much for visiting my blog. :)

xZ